NPRC Military Records Update 04

Posted: October 26, 2011 in Uncategorized

National Personnel Records center new address is:
National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St Louis, MO 63138-1002 USA
The majority of staff have moved to the new location and the military personnel records are in the process of moving. The entire move should be completed by Summer 2012. The new address for the US Air Forces Air Reserve Personnel Center is:
Air Reserve Personnel Center
18420 E Silver Creek Ave Bldg 390 MS 68
Buckley AFB, CO 80011 USA
As a reminder, ALL retiree and Honorably Discharged veterans should ensure that their family knows the location of their military Separation Document (DD Form 214 from 1950 to present and WD (War Department) Form 53-55 and other variations prior to 1950). Note that registering a copy at the county court house may make that document a public record. Separation Documents issued after 1969 may contain a Social security Number which could be used for identity theft. Storing the Separation Document in a safe deposit box may make it difficult to retrieve immediately upon the death of the retiree or honorably discharged veteran. The better storage locations are:
1. Fire safe in a secure location of the house (not in the bedroom as this is where most thieves search first).
2. In a watertight food container (Glad, Tupperware. etc.) in the refrigerator. Most refrigerators are fire resistant. Additionally, a refrigerator is heavy enough to fall through the floor of a building into the cooler part of the fire in the basement and better survive. Finally, a refrigerator is large enough to be easily located in the ash and ruble of a fire or other serious incident. (As a bonus, everyone has a refrigerator, not every one has a fire resistant storage box). Be sure to inform your spouse and relatives where to locate your Separation Document – and any other important papers.
[Source: NPRC message 19 Sep 2011 ++]

  1. Military records at the NPRC pertaining to veterans who were discharged over 62 years ago are open to the public. A good many of the military personnel files and discharge records at the personnel center were destroyed in a fire.Thankfully, there are many resources on site that can help folks to reconstruct the records of loved ones which were lost in the 1973 fire. On site military research specialists can trace the steps of individual veterans, showing where they were and what they did during the war. For those whose military records are lost this can be a valuable resource in preserving one’s family history as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s